EXPERIENCE IS THE TEACHER OF ALL THINGS
-Julius Ceaser

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Here I am Stranded

I was on my way back from my holidays in Alor Setar with my wife, my son and my daughter. Upon reaching the Kamunting traffic light on highway 1, I felt that my car start jerking before engaging into first gear. I am thinking of the worse. I know something is wrong with my gearbox and in my mind looking at the RMs flying away. The last time I changed my gearbox was in April 1998 during the Commonwealth games. It made me poorer by RM 800 then. So after more than 9 years I am sure the price of the gearbox will be more expensive.

Two days ago I saw a leak in below the engine and found out it was from the gearbox and it was the gearbox oil. I checked the oil level and found out that it it is already at the cold level which means the oil is at its critical level. After refilling the to Hot level, I check and found out that there is no more leaking which made me think that there is no more leaking. However I was dead wrong. It leaks when the engine gets hot and drips along the way hence decreasing the level of the oil when it is hot. The last reason for my changing the gearbox was due to its oil dried out and the gears was burnt. That time I was ignorance because my car was the first running on auto. I did not take any care about the oil level since I have never been doing that with my previous manual transmission car.

I decided to stop at the Sg Perak RnR southbound to check the transmission oil level and OMG, its nearly dry. I refill with whatever is left and right at that moment, a workshop watcher plying the highway for breakdown cars arrived. As if one put his/her leg into the padi field, suddenly the leech will swim immediately to sting the leg. Well, I did get his advice and after checking he said there might be a leak in the oil seal of the box. I think it is no use refilling and drive again because it will aggravate the damage. I knew my car had to be towed to a workshop. At first I tried calling AAM Hotline (1800880808). I was a member but after purchasing the AIG insurance from them, I did not renew my membership since the insurance is enough for me to get help from them during breakdown of the particular car insured. I called them because I can get a FREE tow (maximum RM60) if the service is by their authorized workshop and tow trucks. As I had experienced before but I have to pay first and claim later.

While getting the information with AAM, the workshop agent then offered me to tow for FREE (which I am sure they will absorb into the repair charges). After giving it a thought that a about RM 60 tow charges and my family's comfort, I decided to let them tow and just pay for the toll that is RM 3.50 (I have to pay after all) for my car and another RM 3.50 for his towtruck. So my car was towed to a workshop at Jelapang.

After reaching the workshop and upon inspection, the mechanic found out that there is more than the gearbox to be repaired and it will take more time. I knew the top head had to be repaired too because of a faulty valve. So I called my sons brother in law who is staying in Ipoh to inform him about our problem. He came and took us back to his house in Ipoh. Now, here I am blogging.

Will continue later when I recharge my laptop battery.

2 comments:

Nightwing said...

Hope ur car is ok already. Hope after this, ur car will not surprise u again.

U have a great weekend ahead.

A Happy 2008 to you and your love ones.

Anonymous said...

Yes nightwing, I am back home in KL after spending RM 2450.00. I am broke now. LOL

AFFILIATION

TESTIMONY OF 1MALAYSIA

1 Malaysia PEOPLE FIRST
These are blogs as proof of the slogan.

Followers

BILLBOARD

WHAT'S NEW ON THE BLOG FRONT

Powered By Blogger