EXPERIENCE IS THE TEACHER OF ALL THINGS
-Julius Ceaser

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Beware Of SMS Traps

Every now and then people get trapped on their mobile phone with unnecessary SMS messages that has no value at all. Mobile phone users tend to fall prey to such scams when they fail to read the small Terms and Contract somewhere on the page. These contracts are usually written in small letters because people usually skip reading sentences printed in small letters.
I would like to share this as an advice. I was surfing on a website and really the Ultimate Brain Test question (or is it the silhouette graphics of the ballerina) did attract me to click the answer. I thought base on the ballerina movement, I clicked the answer and the result will appear. However, it lead to a set of another 10 questions and I clicked and answered all the questions. After finishing all ten answers this page appear. I am supposed to key in my phone number and they will send the answer for my Ultimate Brain Test.
Before I start to key in my phone number, maybe my sixth sense asked me to read the small print below and this is what the Terms look like.

This is a sound subscription content service. The sound subscription content is compatible with most phones. The extra content will be send after you’ve subscribed to our sound subscription. Upon subscribing, you will receive 2 chargeable messages at RM4 per message. Service is charged at RM4 per message, 4 chargeable messages per week. Normal mobile operator network charges apply. Age: 18+ only - ask bill payer's permission. Unsubscribe? To cancel send ‘STOP’ to 36622. Helpdesk: 03 – 2175 4700 (9.30am – 5.30pm (Mon – Fri). By sending an SMS to 36622, you acknowledge that you have read and understood the ‘General Terms & Conditions’ and agreed to be bound by these 'General Terms & Conditions'. Service Provider: Ericsson (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd.


If I were to have taken the wrong move to key in my phone number, I can be a victim of the company. Just imagine I have to pay RM 16.00 per week and amounting to RM 64.00 per month for some stupid SMS.

2 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

gosh.. thank goodness u saw the small print.. my son also was tricked once.. he spent 500rm over to answer some quiz questions in sms... sigh..

Anonymous said...

reenaclaire, its our social obligation to share expreiences so that others do not get trap too.

AFFILIATION

TESTIMONY OF 1MALAYSIA

1 Malaysia PEOPLE FIRST
These are blogs as proof of the slogan.

Followers

BILLBOARD

WHAT'S NEW ON THE BLOG FRONT

Powered By Blogger