EXPERIENCE IS THE TEACHER OF ALL THINGS
-Julius Ceaser

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Google Mail Team is Fishing? Er.... I mean Phishing

Upon waking up this morning I check my mail box and saw an email from Google Mail Team. And they are sending me an email with no subject. The content of the email is a warning that my email is among the Gmail account that have been identified to be shut down. Reason is that my email is I am creating a congestion due to anonymous registration. So if I do not respond within 24 hours from the time the email was issued, my acocunt will be suspended for security reason. Security reason? Hmmm..... maybe I will be hunted by CIA for being a suspect of helping Al Qaeda or just being sent to Kamunting under ISA. No, I think I will be sent to Guantanamo.

Is creating a congestion equivalent to security?

Dear Account User,
This Email is from Gmail Customer Care and we are sending it to every Gmail User Accounts Owner for safety. we are having congestions due to the anonymous registration of yahoo accounts so we are shutting down some Gmail accounts and your account was among those to be deleted.

So, is Gmail going phishing? What they wanted from me is my

* Username: ..............................
* Password: ................................
* Date of Birth: ............................
* Country Or Territory: ................

When they accuse me of not being active, I wonder whether they track my account activity. Definitely they have tracking softwares. Even Miri Community (I visit every log in session), they track whether I am registered or not. Why I suspect it is phishing is

1. The email has no subject.
2. It does not come from Google but from Google Mail Team.
3. There is NO receiver address. The 'to' line is empty.
3. There are spelling and grammatical mistakes throughout the email.
4. They don't even show politeness when ending the mail with a Thank you and sender identity.


Picture 1 showing the latest email I receive from Google Mail Customer Care.

Picture 2: Comparison between the latest email and the first email I receive when I registered with Gmail.

What they warn?

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his/her account after two weeks of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.

My conclusion

1. Hope genuine someone from Google or Gmail happen to read this blog.
2. I am not going to respond to this email. If they terminate my account I still have my Yahoo and other FREE email account.

No comments:

AFFILIATION

TESTIMONY OF 1MALAYSIA

1 Malaysia PEOPLE FIRST
These are blogs as proof of the slogan.

Followers

BILLBOARD

WHAT'S NEW ON THE BLOG FRONT

Powered By Blogger